Neutering your Male Cat
Neutering or castrating your male cat is a surgical procedure carried out under general anaesthetic to remove both testicles. Castration can be done from 4 months of age. Neutering is a simple, safe procedure routinely carried out at City Vet and it is the best way to control your cat’s reproduction. We recommend neutering all cats because of the many health benefits for cats.
Benefits of Neutering your Male Cat:
- Unneutered male cats scent mark or spray indoors and outdoors. This is an unmistakable odour which is very strong and unpleasant. Castrating your male cat will reduce or stop scent marking in the home.
- During the cat breeding season and especially in spring male cats fight and compete to breed females. Bite injuries commonly cause abscesses and other infections, including FIV and FeLV virus infections, which are very serious and often fatal.
- Neutered male cats are less likely to roam and less likely to get injured by cars and get into fights with other cats which often requires veterinary treatment.
- Before or shortly after birth, testicles descend into the scrotum. In some cats, one or both testicles do not descend fully and retained between the abdominal cavity and the scrotum. Retained testicles are more likely to become cancerous and should be removed.
- Every year, a large number of feral kittens are born. These suffer from a lot of diseases, illness and often die. Unneutered male cats that are allowed to roam contribute to this problem. Neutering your cat will help reduce this problem.
- Neutered pets live longer.
If you would like to arrange an appointment to have your male cat neutered, please phone the City Vet clinic on 061-419760.